Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
dividing a circle by X degrees?
Hi,
Is there and easy way to add snap points around the circumference of a circle at a predetermined angle?
I tried searching but came up with nothing.
Thanks for any help in advance
John
John,

The only way that I'm aware of is to add a specific number of midpoints that divide the circle into the desired number of degrees.

ie...
If you want a point at 30 degrees then set the midpoint number at 360/30. That places twelve midpoints on your circle. If you only want one, or a set number of points at 30 degree then just delete the unwanted points.
If perchance you want points at different specific locations on the same circle, then just do the whole process as many times as needed. One at 360/30 and another at say 360/22.5 and so on.
Thanks William. That will work.
John
John,

I played around with this a little and the placement of a point at a specified number of degrees on a circle's  perimeter can also be done using the “Draw circle arc using the center” tool in the Circle tab menu bar.

Simply draw the arc the desired number of degrees and place your point at the end point of the arc. Then, if desired, delete the arc.

As I think about this, it occurs to me that there are indeed multiple ways of accomplishing this. You already know of a couple. Explore on your own a little and see if you can discover more.

Try it, you find that it's fun.
For a single point or points that are not evenly spaced the 'Draw an angled line' option could be used.

Select the center of the circle as your 'First Point'
Then enter your angle ( 0 'zero' degrees is at the 3 o'clock position on the circle , 45 degrees is at 1:30, 90 degrees at 12:00 and ect going counter-clockwise). ( Negative degrees going clockwise -90 degrees is at 6:00 position).
Then select the circle as your length.

Then you can use the ends of the lines as your snap point.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dividing a line into equal segments woodspiral 3 1,012 12-09-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: woodspiral