Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hatching
Hi,
   I am having trouble with hatching. If I have a circle sitting inside a box, is it possible to have the inside of the box hatched with no hatching in the circle?
Thanks,
Alan
Draw another circle a few thousandths smaller but set the line type to filled and color to white.
Make sure the filled circle Z order is on top.
Hi Alan,

There are two ways you could go about this.

1. Draw your hatched rectangle then place your circle within it. Make the circle color the same as your background color and select 'filled' in the tab 'select' / 'Line Type' drop down menu. Copy and move the circle 0,0 and change the 'Line Type' to line and recolor the line the same color as the line/hatch color.
  2. Treat the rectangle as a "see through" object. The instructions for this is located elsewhere in the forums. Way to much to go into here.

Which way you do it depends on what you want to do with the finished drawing.
(07-29-2016, 11:11 PM)AlwMVMO Wrote: Draw another circle a few thousandths smaller but set the line type to filled and color to white.
Make sure the filled circle Z order is on top.

Thanks for this. My normal background colour is black and when I tried your fix I got a black circle when I printed it.
 I then changed the background to white and your suggestion worked a treat.
I presume that the second circle needs to be smaller so the original circle shows up and isn't obliterated.
 I couldn't see any way of filling the circle while retaining the outline which is an option in Shapes.
Thanks again.
Alan C.
(07-29-2016, 11:17 PM)williamj Wrote: Hi Alan,

There are two ways you could go about this.

1. Draw your hatched rectangle then place your circle within it. Make the circle color the same as your background color and select 'filled' in the tab 'select' / 'Line Type' drop down menu. Copy and move the circle 0,0 and change the 'Line Type' to line and recolor the line the same color as the line/hatch color.
  2. Treat the rectangle as a "see through" object. The instructions for this is located elsewhere in the forums. Way to much to go into here.

Which way you do it depends on what you want to do with the finished drawing.
Hi,
    Thanks for this. I can't seem to make it work. Although the circle hatching disappears, I can't get an outline of the circle using the copy and move part of your solution.
Thanks anyway.
Regards,
Alan
Hi, it's been quite some time since I've used a CAD program but another way you could do this is by using layers:

First set up some useful layers - Drawing, Circle and Auxiliary (use the 'Auxiliary layer for construction guides).

Next, working on layer 'Drawing' draw out the rectangle and hatch it how you want.

Next, working on layer 'Circle' draw two separate Circles.

Next, still working on layer 'Circle' fill one of the Circles with a White color fill.

*Note, the Filled Circle in the screen shot is Red because it has been selected (all entity selections are made Red!)

Next, change to work on layer 'Auxiliary' and draw a guide line, snapping between top and bottom centers of the rectangle.

Next, select and move the filled circle snapping to the center of the guideline.

Next, move the unfilled Circle into position in the same manner by snapping to the guideline.
Now turn off the Auxiliary layer, that should be it, hope it helps.

Chip

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If for some reason the hatched area does cover up the 'Hole' such as editing the hatch that can be fixed by editing the Z Order of the hatch to the bottom.